Friday, October 27, 2006

Frustrating Friday

Can't guarantee a lot of cohesiveness, so I'll apologize in advance for what may end up being a stream of consciousness. Here goes.

The Marriage or Whatever Thing
As you've probably already heard, the New Jersey Supreme Court ruled that same-sex couples are entitled to the same rights as opposite-sex couples and has directed the state legislature to come up with an appropriate course of action, whether it is Marriage or Civil Union (initial cap intended). Responses I've heard have ranged from "this isn't a victory, it's a loss" to "gotta stop those activist judges" to "gotta save marriage" to "the timing was bad because now the conservatives have ammunition" blah, blah, blah. My stand on marriage equality is well known to anyone who has ever read my blog. And, my feelings on what conservatives want to do, no matter what ammo they have or don't have is also know. The bottom line is that the extreme right is always working at some point or another on something to keep their White, male-dominated, heterosexist, Christocratic, classist view ruling this country as long as they can. Don't be fooled into thinking that they didn't plan to vote in November, so the timing of the New Jersey announcement is, quite frankly, irrelevant. The infighting is exactly what they hope for -- get us pissed off at each other either for wanting marriage equality laws passed at what appears to be the cost of other things like decent wages, accessible healthcare, safe streets and affordable healthcare, and while we're fighting, they slip nonsense in like "defense of life" or "defense of marriage." And, speaking of being quite frank, those of you pissed off because we didn't get the word "MARRIAGE" need to rub the dust out of your eyes. The ruling says that the RIGHTS (READ: THE KABILLION LEGAL PROTECTIONS) opposite-sex couples get automatically because they pay a fee and get a license from City Hall (that's technically what marriage is, kids) should be extended equally to same-sex couples. As with the infighting about timing and whatever else, this is yet another weapon of mass distraction that allows the Righties to slip in while our backs are turned and convinces the legislatures to do things that take away evering bleeping thing they can. Civil union, marriage, great joining, whatever. It's about a piece of paper and what that paper means, so wake up already. Geez!!!

The Music Business is Giving me The Business or Technology is NOT My Friend
So, Telios, God bless her, gave me a Korg Triton Workstation with a CDRW for composition, making tracks, etc. I've done some things with it. For the last few months, I've mainly used it as a big piano, but I'm trying to learn how to do other things with it, and I need to since it cost as much as a car downpayment and I feel just a little pressure to make it pay for itself since it was so expensive. It's driving me up the freakin' wall, so if you know any musicians who can help me and keep me from selling the damn thing (because that would hurt Telios' feelings), let me know.

"Reformed" Homos
When I was 19, I came out. My good girlfriend at the time, whom I call Coco, also came out. Coco went to a groovy liberal arts college in Massachusetts, hooked up with a lesbian art major who went to a neighboring school, and they had their tumultuous lesbian relationship through to graduation. Post-breakup, Coco moved to San Francisco, became a bona fide dyke into leather and rugby, pissed off her conservative Caribbean parents, and made me envy the entire sordid journey that was her early-to-mid twenties. Some time passed and we lost touch. I ran into a guy we both knew, who was/is the best friend of another guy who would eventually become her boyfriend. My response then was "WTF?!?" and whenever I hear about some newly "reformed" re-oriented former homosexual, my response is still "WTF?!?" I'm not naming names; giving them free publicity for their duplicitous journey won't come from me.

I can hear some dopey responses out there: Why is it duplicitous? Maybe she wasn't really gay, She believes that homosexuality is a sin and she was delievered, Maybe she went through counseling and was able to find her true self. Lies and more lies.

Some folk like to say that one can't change being Black, yet bleaching creams sell like hot cakes in Africa. If Black women want to change the texture of their hair to straight, they can buy Asian hair to blend with their own. Or, they can chemically straighten it. Numerous celebrities, who made it big with the classically African features they were born with suddenly disappear for a few weeks and reappear with narrowed noses. Why isn't the Eurocizing of beauty seen as going against their nature?

Some folk work on Sunday. Are they quitting their jobs so as not to be in violation of keeping the Sabbath day holy?

Some folk wear polyester-cotton blends, eat cheeseburgers, are regular visitors to Red Lobster, and are regular consumers of food produced via genetic modification or artificial insemination, which in olden days was known as animal husbandry. Where are the re-orientation programs?

What is it that makes some lesbian and gay people wake up one day, and decide they need to not be gay anymore? Where are the heterosexuals that seek to be "changed" into homosexuals? Every gay man won't die of AIDS. Every lesbian doesn't hate men. Every gay man isn't having lots of sex. Every lesbian doesn't "look" lesbian. We're not all well-educated or rich. Care to see my banking statement? I bounced a check earlier this month, and I didn't graduate from college. Life isn't easy, salvation isn't promised, and you're not a better person because you're suddenly heterosexual. Screw you. We don't need you to be with us if you don't have the courage to be who you are. I can't promise I'll be willing to listen to how your marriage split up when you tell your husband or wife you had an affair with another man or woman.

Okay, I'm done.

1 Comments:

Blogger It's Me, Maven... said...

I thought this government was originally created to keep government out of our personal lives? Yet, here we are...

Personally, I don't see homosexual marriage as a threat to heterosexual marriage. PHILANDERING (whether hetero or homo, or worse yet the "Down Low" variety) is a bigger threat to marriage than ORIENTATION.

And the entire New Jersey thing just had the ear marks of "Separate But Equal," and really that's not progress.

Is it?

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home