Monday, May 29, 2006

Change of Life

As I've mentioned in the past, I'm involved with a fantastic group called IllumiNation, and we were in Lyon, France a couple of weeks ago. I've actually been busy, despite the loss of my day job, so this is the first chance I've had to really write about the trip.

First, I have to say this was easily one of the best weeks of my life. The media is alternately a gift and a curse; it informs, and it mis-informs. Lots of Americans are walking around with a nasty idea about the French, especially that they're snooty or hard to get along with. That couldn't be further from the truth -- the French know how to have a good time, and love meeting and talking with people.

Paris is a lot like Manhattan, busy and glitzy, somewhat elitist in its sense of self. When one thinks of France, Paris comes to mind first, and rightly so, just as when one speaks of New York, they think of Manhattan (even if they just think of Manhattan as "the city") first. But the city of Lyon is like Brooklyn, with a laid-back, casual attitude, plenty of relaxed places to hang out and eat or drink (you can get a beer at 8am if you want and no one cares), and a diverse population. Everyone in Lyon isn't White and thin. In fact, I was pretty comforted when I saw full-figured girls on the street just doin' the damn thing.

The group we went to fellowship with, La Jamaa, was amazing; amazing singers, amazingly warm, amazingly welcoming. We had a great time. Telios & I are already thinking about going back in December, but our schedules are a little full, not to mention that we're going to need to watch our expenses.

I probably should have called this post Upheaval Part 2 because my life is rapidly changing, and the trip was a huge part of that. I don't have audio files (working on that), but pictures will be up on the IllumiNation site soon.

More later.

1 Comments:

Blogger It's Me, Maven... said...

You should post some pictures to go with this post:)

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home