Tuesday, February 07, 2006

With Death, There is Life

As many around the country and around the world mourn the loss of Coretta Scott King, I am thankful that her homegoing did not ignore her support of rights for all people, including lesbians and gays. I'm trying REALLY hard to avoid yet another of my rants about the crap we take.

Instead, I want to see the glass as half-full. I want to believe my own words that in death there is life. Life and death really are cyclical, after all. Dead and decaying plants and animals become part of the soil and water from which plants and animals come that sustain life. I once heard someone share their enjoyment, for lack of a better word, of obituaries because they are the only source of a person's story, from birth to death. Out of their death, we learn about their life.

I want to believe that even in the senseless brutality that steals the life from our babies, we who remain here are reminded of our responsibility, from social service workers, to relatives, to community members, to politicians, to make sure our children have a chance to live and live well.

I want to believe that the violence, physical and spiritual, committed by those in the name of their deity, no matter what the deity's name is, forces us to question what we believe, even makes us muster up the courage to accept that what we believe is wrong, and that the violence committed in the name of what we believe, be it in the form of physical attacks, discriminatory policies, denial of housing, the right to raise children who would otherwise go unwanted and unloved, employment, and healthcare, cease and desist.

I want to believe that 100% of our culture, whether it's hip hop, lifestyles of the rich and infamous, the Christocrats or the lunatic fringe, can not be defined or engraved upon us by 5% of the populace.

I want to believe that my being Black, or being an out lesbian doesn't make me Public Enemy #1. I'm not interested in shakin' what my mama gave me, stealing your purse, sex with my partner for your benefit, or recruiting your child.

I want to believe that I don't have to be a millionaire to be able to buy a home in an area of the country that not only provides me access to the advantages of urban life, but also insulates me from potential harm as an out lesbian. Conversely, I want to believe that should I choose to move to an area where I can afford to live comfortably because it has a lower cost of living that I won't have to worry about a cross-burning on my lawn because I'm Black, or harassment because I'm gay.

I want to believe that I'm not the only one who believes that God, in the person of Jesus Christ, said whosever includes the poor, the person of color, the woman, and the gay or lesbian person. And, I want to believe that I have the courage to say that out loud even if I don't have the permission to.

I want desperately to believe that CHANGE IS COMING!

2 Comments:

Blogger It's Me, Maven... said...

Here is the conundrum, sweetie...

1. As a Christian, you more than likely believe in the dogma of original sin, which makes every human a sinner;

2. As a Christian, more specifically a "Scripturally Literalist" Christian, believing that the bible is the unerring word of God him/her/itself. There are passages denouncing homosexuality. In that vein, homosexuality, according to the church is a sin.

My point here is, Jesus did not come for those who already were saved, those who already believed... Jesus came to help the rest of us sinners reconcile ourselves with oneness with our Creator. Hence, Jesus came for YOU.

I loathe the "fundies" who think that Jesus' existence is solely for those who are "perfect" in every outward appearance.

I would be honored if I had you as a neighbor! No finer person to practice the second commandment:

"Love thy neighbor as thyself..."

11:37 PM  
Blogger It's Me, Maven... said...

PS: We're all sinners... me included... I hope you didn't think I was being holier than thou. What I meant was, he came for all of us, you and ME included.

11:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home