Thursday, December 29, 2005

As The Clock Winds Down...

Okay, so last year's year-end post was called "As the Year Ends." But, with not so much difference between last year and this, what other title is there?

Today's New York Times was pretty full of the mishmosh of subjects I'm thinking about as 2005 ends. Nickelodeon, the kids' network, has launched "sliming" in China, as well as Spongebob. New York's Transit Workers Union are named as victors in the class war following last week's transit strike. In other news, the American Family Association, the ultra conservatives has decided that since Ford Motor Company came to its senses and told them to shove off, they're going after NBC. And I'm listening to one of my all-time favorite CDs, "Red, Hot, + Blue," the first compilation CD fundraiser to fight AIDS, on my iriver MP3 player -- WHO NEEDS AN IPOD!

What's the point? The cultural war is getting crazier. The government admits that spying on activist groups, even by posing as a protester to get footage of lawful protests, is okay. A small group of people is relentless in its attempt to sanitize and homogenize American culture while American culture is rapidly spreading itself across the globe. The game of big business, once played only in the office, has spread out into government, with more and more politicians coming from the billionare boys club -- why run for office on a grassroots ticket when you can buy enough advertising and pay top dollar for the best strategists in the business to guarantee success. And, once in office, run every aspect of government like a business, squeezing revenue out of every little corner, even if it means a few million people are affected. Make people who are willing to be spat on and vilified for standing up for themselves bad guys. Turn the populace against them by reminding them just how inconvenienced their soft, pink, overfed selves have become because they have to incorporate some real work into their lives. China's acceptance of Nick programming is based on the exclusion of things like burping and farting, in keeping with its emphasis on rigor and propriety, as opposed to the slack-jawed, lazy, computer-driven indulgence our kids are intimate with.

It feels like life is becoming more difficult with eash passing year. I'm not trying to be a downer; on the contrary, I have a lot to be thankful for, and I'm still pretty happy. My relationship is great. My foot and ankle are on the mend, and I'm pretty sure my wish for matching shoes by January 1 will be fulfilled. I'm about to soil myself in fear, for I'm preparing a large project, larger than I've ever done on my own, but it's really significant for my other career. The truth, however, is that as grand as my life is, the world is rapidly changing, and I'd like to hold on to the adage that things get worse before they get better.

So, here's hoping that 2006 will indeed be a happy new year, and that things will get better. Here's hoping that all of us have more money than we need, but not more than we want, health that goes past external perfection, joy that is more than material, and love that lives above the waist more often than below. Here's hoping that our government will spend more time preserving the liberty, justice, and well-being of all, and not just the most desirable.

Here's hoping that, in the immortal words of Cole Porter, from this moment on, you & I, babe, will be ridin' high, babe.

2 Comments:

Blogger Shark-fu said...

Hope you have a safe and Happy New Year!

4:31 PM  
Blogger It's Me, Maven... said...

A happy and safe 2006 for you and the Mrs., and sending you lots of good thoughts for your super big project!

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home