Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Give Thanks

Psalms 118 commands us to give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good. No, I'm not suggesting that you thank some deity you're not into, but I do hope that you, we, plan to give thanks for the things we do have to be thankful for. While I'm not into commercial displays of gratitude, I am into taking time out to stop and smell the roses. So, here we go.

I'm thankful that I live in a flawed, yet open society that allows me, while still possible, to live as a Black lesbian in a protected, even in limited ways, relationship. Even though I have to take extra precautions to have my partner recognized as the first decision maker should I become unable to make decisions for myself, I am unaware of any country that would allow that, with perhaps the exception of those six countries that allow same-sex marriage.

I'm thankful that my parents are still alive and married for more than 50 years. They were nutty in my youth, prone to uncontrollable rage at times, and narrow-minded, but they did a great job in raising me. I may still have issues with them, but at least I recognize that. Many go to their grave harboring resentments they don't even know about.

I'm thankful that even though the medical profession and government charts say that I should be diabetic, have high blood pressure, and heart disease, my annual physicals are always positive. I'm as healthy as a Clydesdale.

I'm thankful for my job that pays me money, and my other jobs that pay me spiritually. Never underestimate the value of making people smile.

I'm thankful for a great group of friends, even for those that I'm no longer in touch with. Every relationship has worth.

I'm thankful for the love of my life, my darling Telios. We should all have someone in our lives who loves our morning breath, cellulite, and occasional bad temper.

Don't dwell on Thanksgiving. Give thanks.

2 Comments:

Blogger It's Me, Maven... said...

Amen!

Hope you and yours have a lovely, blessed, happy, peaceful, abundant Thanksgiving, and may we always be mindful of those less fortunate.

Amen!!

9:37 PM  
Anonymous chasbrack said...

Dionne,

We have know each other for years and I am truly in awe at the person that you have become. So many changes, for the better, are evident in your leadership and artistry. I feel fortunate to have watched you save not one but two choirs. Dedication to the idiom of gospel music as well as understanding of the importance of careful and studied liberation of the text make you a gospel giant. I'm thankful for you...and you gorgeous and witty wife. The universe is better having you here!

5:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home