Friday, July 01, 2005

Quickies

Like my pal Angry Black Bitch, I am also tired. Not really physically tired, although I have had a full coupla weeks, but mentally. I'm tired of the shift to the right. I'm tired of preparing for battle. I'm just tired. So, as it's summer, I'll be slow on the postings unless something really significant hits me. Which will happen. Because it's America.

Houston, We Have a Problem

Am I the only one who didn't think Sandra Day O'Connor was planning to retire from the Supreme Court? Am I the only one surprised that she stepped down before William Rehnquist? Am I the only one about to soil myself in light of recent federal judicial appointments? What's next, reprogramming centers?

Who Knew This Was a Law?

South Dakota recently struck down as unconstitutional a law that required doctors to tell patients considering or planning an abortion that abortion "ends human life and causes physical and psychological harm." Do you mean to tell me that this madness was actually on the freakin' books as a law before a court said it was bogus? It wasn't bad enough that in some states a pharmacist can actually refuse to fill a prescription if it is contrary to their moral beliefs?

Mr. Charlie Comes Calling and Uncle Tom Answers

An article in today's New York Times discusses the GOP's snuggling up to Black candidates in hopes of winning over swing Democrats who may be feeling like football widows, pun intended. Featured in the coverage is football legend Lynn Swann, planning a run for governor in Pennsylvania. A win is a win, right? Even if it involves selling out. Field niggers never trusted house niggers, anyway.

Black Boys Not Welcome But Leave Your Hip-Hop Stylee Anyway

Howard Beach. Home of the Black-bashers. Yeah, we've seen this scene before. Black guys in a nabe "they don't belong in" take a savage beat-down from a group of White thugs. Interesting thing is these cats love hip-hop (which is Black), wear hip-hop clothing (uh, Black again), and aspire to a "bling" (Black phrase, Black concept) life. Reminds me of the scene in Spike Lee's "Do The Right Thing," where racist Pino tells Black delivery guy Mookie that Michael Jordan isn't Black, he's "bigger than Black."

But The News Isn't All Bad

Thank God for good news, 'cuz my head was starting to ache. Spain joins the Netherlands and Belgium in granting same-sex couples the right to marry. Nearly all of Canada does now, with a vote on all provinces due at the end of the month.

Brooke Shields tells Tom "I know everything!" Cruise to shut up. She bravely shares a bit of her struggle with postpartum depression in an op-ed piece in the Times. Good for you, girl. At least you're speaking from an intelligent place, versus a swelled head. Listen up, Tom. Wisdom comes from humility, and you have to give it up to someone admitting an incredibly painful, and probably shameful, experience so others can benefit. When you push out a ten-pound bio bit from between your legs, and are expected to be everything for it at all times, then you can speak. Otherwise, zip your fly so the words won't jump outta your ass anymore.

Have a great Fourth of July, everyone. I'm not calling it Independence Day, for that would imply total freedom for everyone. Just try to enjoy your 3-day weekend.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Patty said...

Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know that I really enjoy your blog. Whenever I find a blog I think I might like, I read their last few posts, and then I read their post from last Election Day. Yes, that's a sad thing, but honestly, I could never really enjoy reading anything written by someone who was overjoyed that W was re-elected.

Anyway, I just finished reading you from start to finish, and I hope you keep writing. I'm a white straight 40-something woman from Chicago, but I love your style and what you have to say. Keep talking.

12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home