Friday, June 17, 2005

A Standing Ovation

I really dig Dr. Julianne Malveaux. She always seems to say what needs to be said and it doesn't hurt that she has the credentials to back it up. How many Black female Ph.Ds in economics (from MIT!) are speaking openly about race in America? As educated at Condoleeza Rice is, I'm not convinced that she didn't drink the Kool-Aid. But, Dr. Malveaux is the kind of Black person; the kind of Black woman most White men in power are totally scared of.

In an opinion piece on USA Today, Dr. Malveaux tells the truth about the recent apology offered by the Senate for the abhorrent lynching legacy in America. A token, at best, Dr. Malveaux suggests that if the Senate; nay, if America is really serious about reconciliation (which is different from apology) with the African-American community, it needs to put its money where its mouth is. She cites reparations, but I ain't holdin' my breath, nor am I planning to use it as collateral for buying my house.

I hope you'll visit her site and read her writings. From nasty things America doesn't want to talk about like lynchings, the role of slavery in the building of corporate America, to the flawed homeownership and credit system, I think she deserves a standing ovation for avoiding the "talkin' loud and sayin' nothin' " syndrome, and really speaking truth to power about what ails the Black community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home