Friday, June 03, 2005

Celebrity? Yes. Expert? No.

Since ABB, who has become my new guilty pleasure (hehehehehee), shouted me out on Thursday (and I forgive you for the botched spelling of my name), I'm returning the favor today. Who knew Tom Cruise was such a case? Closet case, yes. Nut case, no, but then he dumped Nicole Kidman, so what can I say.

Here's the quick & dirty. Brooke Shields recently published a book about her bout with postpartum depression, in which she says antidepressants helped her recover. Tom, who by the way, as far as I know, didn't birth no babies, and probably had a nanny, er, an au pair, help with his family with Nic, says Brooke should've taken a vitamin and gone for a jog and she'd a'been a'ight. And then, in bitchy queen mode (sue me if you want, but most catty men I know are booty bumpers), follows with "she's a talented woman, but look where her career has gone." Saucer of milk at table two!

Yes, that last remark was flip. Please don't misunderstand me. I take postpartum depression very seriously. Having a baby is tough. Having a crying, needy baby is tough, especially after your hormones are all over the map. Your body has been taken over by some bio-force for almost a year, and you have to quickly pull your socks up to take care of it for 24-hours a day for at least the next 12 years (understanding that at some point, s/he can microwave some Kraft Macaroni & Cheese, thereby giving you a breather). The outside pressures are worthy of a huge big-up to moms doin' their thing (and dads too), but to couple that with the hormonal changes and what they do from the inside, is phenomenal. I can't imagine how difficult it must be.

Brooke was a lady about it, kept it simple and kept it moving. Says she "Tom should stick to saving the world from aliens."

Click on the link in the first paragraph 'cuz Tom tells all about all. He's quite the know-it-all. Celebridom is not the same as expertise. Having your face and voice exposed to millions of people does not create a wealth of knowledge. I'm a woman, and because I've never given birth, I wouldn't dream of offering one cent, much less two, on the subject of postpartum anything. You, Tom, are an ass. It's not enough that we have to see you fawning over Katie, and quite frankly, I wish you'd just shut up about it already, but I really wish you'd just shut the hell up. Period.

1 Comments:

Blogger roy said...

I wonder what Katie Holmes had to say about that -- I mean, besides "Tom, honey, is it supposed to be this soft?"

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home