Saturday, December 04, 2004

Literatim

Lest you think I've really lost my mind, I can assure you that the title of this post is a real word. According to Merriam-Webster, it means letter for letter. What a fabulous word, which is the subject of this post (words, not fabulousness).

I've been slowly spreading the word about this blog because I still suffer from tortured-artist syndrome: pay attention to me, but don't let me know you're paying attention. And, while I appreciate the attention, I'm not quite sure how to take your criticism.

I think most people have a creative trait. Some use sounds to create, others use images. Some use words. Those of us who never get in touch with the creator within may be living an unfulfilled life. You know the type -- they're often very smart, but aren't that good with people. They want the facts, and only the facts, and they're quick to offer what is meant to be helpful, but may teeter on that fine line of help and judgment.

Recently, I told a good friend about my blog, and she let me know she enjoyed reading it -- even though I am sometimes tangential, it was great to read. Stop the presses. Tangential? Isn't the very nature of a blog tangential? Does a blog not serve as one big receptacle of occasionally-disconnected ruminations? A collection of emotional vomitus? Whatever the hell I need to say and demand your attention for?

On a related note, I had a conversation with someone who told me that someone "went out on a limb" for me. Whenever I hear that phrase, I wonder how I should feel. Should I be flattered? Insulted? Terrified? There is nothing, nothing at all benign about that phrase. The pressure is on.

I offer you this. The word carries more power than you could ever know. Don't take that for granted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home